Rajnath Singh backs Odd-Even Formula on Vehicles
Union Home Minister Rajnath Singh has supported Arvind Kejriwal’s odd-even formula for vehicles in Delhi to curb high pollution. However, he has suggested some key steps:
* Exemption for Vehicles for the handicapped
* Exclusion of Vehicles handling emergencies, whether classified as emergency vehicles or not and / or to increase number of ambulances.
* Exemption for Vehicles used by working women, driving alone.
* Non inclusion of two-wheelers from the new policy, as 57 lakh out of 88 lakh vehicles (65%) registered in Delhi are two-wheelers.
* Improve public transportation to check overloading.
* To guard against possible misuse of the rule by the rich, who can afford two or more vehicles.
* Clear policy on the visitors from the nearby cities such as Ambala, Rohtak, Rewari, Chandigarh, Alwar etc.
* Installation of more CCTV camera to implement the scheme.
* To coordinate with other towns in NCR in order to encourage them to follow a similar policy.