Odisha News At 8 PM @ July 9
1) The worst-ever power crisis in Odisha continue unabated for the third consecutive day. The Gridco has attributed it to failure of three units of NTPC and TTPS to generate power. Most areas in Bhubaneswar and other parts of the state are witnessing a power cut of 3-6 hours per day. The situation may prevail for the next few days.
2) BJD MLAs protested against the alleged apathetic attitude of the centre towards Odisha in the Railway Budget. They held placards to protest inside the Assembly. Similarly, members Biju Yuva Janata Dal staged dharnas in front of all major railway stations in the state over the same issue.
3) The Samajwadi Party and CPI staged ‘rail roko’ to protest against Centre’s neglect towards Odisha in the Railway Budget.
4) The Odisha government may confer University status to two major Engineering colleges of the state – College of Engineering and Technology (CET), Bhubaneswar and the Indira Gandhi Institute of Technology (IGIT) at Sarang in Dhenkanal district.
5) The Odisha unit of the BJP celebrated the appointment of Amit Shah as the BJP’s National President. The state unit expressed confidence that Shah will adequate steps to revive the party in Odisha.