Maruti’s Manesar Plant to resume Production on Aug 21
TNI Bureau: India’s largest car maker Maruti Suzuki said that its violence-hit Manesar plant will start production from August 21. The plant was shut down following the clash between workers and management on July 18.
Maruti has decided to resume partial production of cars at Haryana’s Manesar plant on next Tuesday, a source said. Addressing the media, Maruti Suzuki Chairman RC Bhargava said that the company has sacked 500 workers, who were reportedly involved in violence that killed a senior HR manager and left several others injured.
The security will be tightened in the plant. At least 500 Rapid Action Force personnel will be deployed at the plant – 200 within the premises and 300 outside – to prevent the possible clashes.
The company is likely to set up a force of 100 security guards comprising ex-servicemen for security reason.
The firm made it clear that there would not be no discrimination between two categories of workers – Contractual and permanent. Earlier, the sources said that all the workers posted on contract basis were likely to be made permanent.
The decision to resume the plant was taken after the main accused in the violence, Jiya Lal, was arrested on Thursday. The clash that had erupted last month had killed a senior HR official following which the production at the plant was shut down.
The plant produces 550,000 vehicles-a-year including its best-selling Swift hatchback.