1) Trinamool Congress supremo and West Bengal CM Mamata Banerjee has expressed “deep pain and anguish” over the comments made by party MP Tapas Pal, who threatened to rape the women of his opponents (CPM). The party will soon a take a decision on him. Tapas Pal (55) is an Award winning actor of Bengali cinema. His daughter Sohini Pal is also an actress. Meanwhile, Tapas Pal has written a letter to Mamata Banerjee with an unconditional apology for his remarks.
2) The non-subsdised LPG cylinder prices has been hiked by Rs 16.50 due to rising in crude oil and gas prices globally. The petrol and diesel prices were hiked yesterday.
3) The Supreme Court granted regular bail to former Tehelka Editor, Tarun Tejpal in a sexual assault case involving his junior colleague. Since investigation in the case was over and the chargesheet had also been filed, the SC found no reason to deny his bail plea.
4) A special CBI court in Ranchi has rejected former Bihar CM Lalu Prasad Yadav’s plea to quash fodder scam cases against him. Lalu had sought relief on the ground that he was already convicted in one of the cases.
5) India’s leading carmaker Maruti Suzuki has registered a 33% increase in its sales during June 2014 as compared to the corresponding period a year ago. In June 2013, Maruti Suzuki had sold 84,455 units. In June 2014, the sales went up to 1,12,773 units. On the other hand, Hyundai Motors registered a 7.6% dip in its sales.
6) The England and Wales Cricket Board (ECB) has announced a life ban on former New Zealand cricketer Lou Vincent after he admitted his involvement in match-fixing.
7) 1) Chief Justice of India RM Lodha has hit out at the Narendra Modi government for rejecting former Solicitor General Gopal Subramanium as the Supreme Court judge. “The decision was to segregate Gopal Subramanium’s name from others, was taken without my consent while I was abroad. This is quite unfortunate. Independence of judiciary will never be compromised. I had asked Subramanium to wait till my return. But, he went public,” said CJI Lodha.