India News At 7 PM @ July 8
1) The BSE Sensex shed 518 points – biggest single-day fall since September 2013, to close at 25,582.11 and the Nifty closed 164 points lower at 7,623. The fall in the Sensex was attributed to the Union Railway Budget 2014-15, although it talked about privatization and FDI.
2) The Congress leaders and workers in Delhi protested outside Railway Minister Sadananda Gowda’s residence and tried to obstruct his movement. Congress leader Mukesh Sharma broke his nameplate outside the residence and stomped over it.
3) India paid a second installment of $550 million in oil dues to Iran on Tuesday under an interim deal.
4) The BJP and Trinamool Congress MPs clashed inside the Lok Sabha. The TMC MPs alleged that they were manhandled and threatened by the ruling party MPs. The lawmakers clashed over the Railway Budget, which hardly gave anything to West Bengal. Lok Sabha Speaker Sumitra Mahajan ordered a probe into the incident after the TMC MPs complained against BJP MPs Harish Dubey and Hari Narayan Rajbhar.
5) The Supreme Court has granted three more months to CBI to provide details about all registered NGOs in the country and whether they file balance sheets or not.
6) Four persons were arrested and Rs 1.14 crore cash, 600 US dollars, gold and silver jewellery and six luxury watches were recovered from them. All these assets were stolen from Bihar BJP leader and Lok Sabha MP from Nawada, Giriraj Singh. The accused included the MP’s bodyguard, domestic servant, apartment security guard and another accomplice. Giriraj may have a tough time to explain the ownership of such a huge amoung of cash.
7) A statue of Mahatma Gandhi would be installed by early 2015 in Parliament Square in Britain. It was announced by visiting British Foreign Minister William Hague and Chancellor of Exchequer George Osborne.
8) India’s Tennis legend Vijay Amritraj has announced the launch of Champions Tennis League (CTL) in India, which will be held from November 17 to 26.