India News At 2 PM @ July 11
1) US President Barack Obama sent an official invitation to Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi to visit the United States in September. Deputy Secretary of State William Burns delivered the letter to Modi.
3) Veteran Actress Zohra Sehgal, who died at the age of 102 yesterday, was cremated at the Lodhi Road Crematorium. Her family members and many fans and admirers were present during the cremation proceedings. Former Delhi CM Sheila Dikshit and film personalities Shabana Azmi and Javed Akhtar attended her cremation.
4) Nagaland Governor Vakkom Purushothaman, who was transferred to Mizoram on Sunday, resigned from his post in post, saying Governors should not be transferred like government clerks. Purushothaman is a veteran Congress leader and former Kerala minister.
5) The Congress Party has decided to retain Prithviraj Chavan and Bhupinder Singh Hooda as the Chief Ministers of Maharashtra and Haryana respectively till the assembly polls.
6) Delhi has become the second most populous city in the world, according to a UN report. The population of Delhi now stands at 25 million, while Tokyo retains the top spot with 38 million people. Tokyo and New Delhi are followed by Shanghai with 23 million, and Mexico City, Mumbai and Sao Paulo, which have 21 million people each.
According to the projections, Tokyo will still remain the most populous city in 2030, although its population will decline to 37 million. On the other hand, Delhi will retain the second spot, but with 36 million – a sharp rise of 11 million people.
7) India’s Science and Technology Minister Jitendra Singh revealed that the country has earned around 40 million euros by launching 15 foreign satellites from 2011 till date.