1) The Rashtriya Swayamsevak Sangh (RSS) has deputed two of its functionaries Ram Madhav and Shiv Prakash to the BJP. Ram Madhav is Akhil Bharatiya Sah-Sampark Pramukh, while Shiv Prakash works as the Sangh Kshetra Pracharak of Western Uttar Pradesh.
2) PM Narendra Modi’s key aide Amit Shah, who played a key role in BJP’s remarkable victory in Uttar Pradesh during Lok Sabha Polls 2014, is all set to become the President of the party. The announcement could be made tomorrow.
3) The Maharashtra Cabinet has decided to rename University of Pune (UoP) as Savitribai Phule Pune University.
4) The United Nations report on the Millennium Development Goals (MDG), revealed that India has an estimated 50,000 maternal deaths (17 per cent), which is the highest in the world. India also has the highest number of under-five deaths in the world in 2012, with 1.4 million children dying before reaching their fifth birthday. The data further shows that nearly 60 per cent of the one billion people practicing open defecation, live in India.
5) Carrefour, the second-largest retail chain in the world and the largest in Europe, has decided to exit India after less than four years of its debut in the country. The closure will take effect by the end of September 2014.
6) The Narendra Modi government has asked the United Nations Military Observer Group in India and Pakistan (UNMOGIP) to vacate the government bungalow in Delhi, saying it does not have any relevance now.
7) Former cricketer Rajesh Chauhan, who was part of the spin trio along with Anil Kumble and Venkatapathy Raju in the 1990s, has suffered a massive heart attack. He is battling for life at a hospital in Bhilai.