1) Aam Aadmi Party (AAP) leader Arvind Kejjriwal launched the ‘Mission Vistaar (expansion)’ to restructure the party at all levels. He also congratulated the new BJP government led by Narendra Modi and expressed hope that it will live up to the expectations of common people. Kejriwal claimed that all internal differences within the party, have been sorted out.
2) TDP Chief N Chandrababu Naidu has been sworn-in as the Chief Minister of Andhra Pradesh. He earlier held the post (of United Andhra Pradesh) from 1999 till 2004. Along with him, 18 Ministers also took the oath. TDP had won 102 seats in 175-member Assembly, while its alliance partner BJP won 4 seats. BJP bagged two Cabinet berths. Governor ESL Narasimhan administered the oath of office and secrecy to Mr Naidu at a grand public function held at Mangalagiri, situated between Vijayawada and Guntur districts. BJP leader LK Advani, Home Minister Rajnath Singh, Union ministers Ananth Kumar and M Venkaiah Naidu were among the dignitaries present at the swearing-in.
3) National Capital Delhi broke the 62-year-old record by recording 47.8 degrees Celsius in Palam at the outskirts of the city today. The main capital city recorded the maximum temperature of 45.1 degree C. Frequent power cuts in Delhi continue to add to the woes of common people.
4) Overseas investors showed unprecedented trust in the Indian market by pumping in Rs 19,772 crore (USD 3.35 billion) into the Indian debt market in May, which is the highest monthly inflow in the last 29 months.
5) At least 24 college students from VNR Engineering College, Hyderabad, swept away by flash floods in Beas (Vyas) river in Mandi, Himachal Pradesh. Efforts are on to rescue them. The flash floods were reportedly triggered by sudden release of water from a dam. The incident occurred at a place between Mandi and Kullu. The students were doing photography along with the river when the incident took place.
6) Deceased BJP leader Vijay Pandit’s wife has alleged the involvement of Samajwadi Party leader Narendra Bhati in his husband’s murder in Dadri, Greater Noida.
7) Senior leader Ghulam Nabi Azad has been appointed the Leader of the Congress Party in Rajya Sabha.