1) All Airports in India have been put on high alert after the terror attack at Jinnah Airport in Karachi. The CISF has been asked to maintain extra vigil.
2) The Andhra Pradesh Government has decided to airlift the parents of Hyderabad Engineering college students to Kullu. At least 24 students are feared dead after being swept away by flash floods in Beas river. Five bodies have been recovered so far. Apart from HRD Minister Smriti Irani, Civil Aviation Minister Ashok Gajapathi Raju will also visit Kullu and Mandi to oversee the rescue operations.
3) 2009 Dehradun Fake Encounter Case: All 17 Uttarakhand policemen convicted of killing 22-year-old MBA graduate Ranbir Singh in a fake encounter near Dehradun in 2009 have been sentenced to life by a Delhi court. The CBI court also imposed a fine of Rs 20,000 on the 17 convicts. The 18th convict The 18th accused, Jaspal Singh Gosain was let off, as he has already served his term in the jail.
4) As President Pranab Mukherjee unveiled the new government’s economic vision and policy, the BSE Sensex gave it a thumbs up by reaching a record high of 25,619.50 points with a surge of 223.04. The Nifty too touched the 7,660 mark. The Indian Rupee also made some gains against the US Dollar.
5) The Biju Janata Dal (BJD) MPs protested the ordinance on Polavaram Project, saying itwould harm Odisha’s interests. BJD has 20 MPs in Lok Sabha.
6) JD(U) has nominated Sharad Yadav for the Rajya Sabha polls. Sharad Yadav had lost the 2014 Lok Sabha polls from Madhepura.