Kasab’s Execution: Operation X @ 48 Hours
TNI Bureau: The lone captured Pakistani terrorist Mohammad Ajmal Amir Kasab, who was sentenced to death in 26/11 Mumbai attacks and even his mercy petition, was rejected by President Pranab Mukherjee, his execution process, was carried out secretly. The secret move to hang Kasab was codenamed as Operation X, which was conducted in around 48 hours.
The secret operation was led by Special IG (law and order) Devan Bharti under supervision of the Home Ministry in Delhi. Seventeen senior police officers were involved in the operation. The execution process was kept secret to media, even the mobile phones of all the officers engaged in the operation were switched off since the operation began on November 5.
The team began operation X when President rejected the mercy plea of Kasab following the apex court upheld the lower court’s verdict. Kasab was transferred from a jail in Mumbai’s Arthur jail to Pune’s Yerawada jail.
Kasab was executed at 7.30 am this morning. Later, Devan Bharti informed his team: “Operation X completed successfully”.
Media was kept in darkness and all the process was carried out when the Maharashtra was lamenting on the demise of Shiv Sena patriarch Bal Thackeray.
There was report on November 4 that Kasab had undergone a check-up in Mumbai hospital after the doctors suspected dengue. However, the report was false and that was the final medical checkup before the execution.
The operation X was carried out in a proper way. Even a video of entire sequence right from shifting from Mumbai to Pune, his execution and burial was made. It can be used as evidence if any issue or allegation came up from Pakistan side or any organisation. However, the video won’t be made public.
Here are the developments related to Kasab’s hanging:
- Union Home Ministry recommended to President to reject Kasab’s mercy application on Oct 16.
- President rejected Kasab’s mercy plea on Nov 5.
- Kasab’s execution process began following President’s rejection of plea.
- Home Minister recommended Kasab’s execution to Maharashtra government on Nov 7.
- Kasab was informed about his hanging on Nov 12.
- India backed death penalty opposing to the UN resolution on Nov 19.
- Kasab was shifted from Mumbai’s Arthur Road Jail to Pune’s Yerwada Jail on Nov 19.
- Kasab said that he had no last wish just before he was hanged till death at 7:30 am on Nov 21. Later, Doctors declared him dead.
- Kasab was buried inside Yerawada Jail at 9:30 AM.