10 Things You Want to know about Barack Obama
By Himanshu Guru: More than a half century after the World War II, we have not been able to find a peaceful place to live in lieu of the big terrorist attacks and run for power. But still, world has managed to maintain tranquility and harmony up to some extent thanks to the intelligent leadership and just political diplomacy of some International powerful personalities.
And as the President of U.S., Barack Obama has taken some great initiative to lead the modern world in the last few years. Thus, it will be nice to recall ten of his best things, which are though attached to him but have reaped the benefits.
1. U S President Barack Obama was felicitated with the famous Nobel Prize in 2009 for his extraordinary efforts to strengthen international diplomacy and cooperation between peoples. More clearly, he was awarded the prize for his vision of and work for a world without nuclear weapons.
2. Following the recession of 2007, economic stimulus legislation was a vital necessity in the US. As president, Obama signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009 and the Tax Relief, Unemployment Insurance Reauthorization, and Job Creation Act of 2010 to deal with the huge distress of the recession and to stabilize economy of the US, which has even considerable implication on world economy.
3. The 9/11 terrorist attack in the US had shocked the whole world; thus, elimination of the terrorist supreme leader Osama Bin Laden was most essential to discourage terrorist globally. Obama took the responsibility and ordered the military operation that resulted in the death of Osama, which was not only a victory for US, but it became a lesson to terrorism.
4. The issue regarding possession of Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMD) was the top subject for which Iraq faced invasion. But after execution of Saddam Husain, it was time for peace, which was finally drawn by Obama in 2011.
5. The U.S. identified members of al-Qaeda, an organization based in, operating out of, and allied with the Taliban’s Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan, as the perpetrators of the September 11 attack and hence the NATO forces battled against the Taliban insurgency in Afghanistan. Obama increased troops there and continued the battle successfully.
6. Obama adopted the major domestic policy initiatives like the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, the Dodd–Frank Wall Street Reform and Consumer Protection Act, the Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell Repeal Act of 2010 and the Budget Control Act of 2011.
7. Obama also ordered for U.S. military involvement in Libya which eventually led to the end of the Gaddafi chapter to establish democracy.
8. Obama created history to become the first African American to hold the office of the US President, which was in fact a great historic development towards establishment of concept of equality and concord in USA. He also created history by winning a second term on November 6, 2012.
9. Obama was the first US president to publicly support legalizing same-sex marriage.
10. Obama signed the New START arms control treaty with Russia.